Monday, October 4, 2010

Chew On It

Today is the first Monday that I didn't have to go in for treatment. Oh, what a relief it is...

Side effects had started to really linger, initially lasting two or three days but then running out to 10 or more. So essentially, I would start to feel better by say Friday, and Monday I would start all over. That meant a lot of weekends I was quietly bracing myself, relaxing, napping, trying to conserve energy for the rollercoaster on Monday.

Not this weekend, though. This weekend I cooked, and it was more than scrambled eggs and toast. I took Donovan to the Fall festival at the Historic Park - hay rides, caramel apples, honey sticks, cowboys and indians. We went to the playground and out for happy hour. We drove around in the parking garage at the mall for 15 minutes after grocery shopping because Donovan thinks it is a tunnel. I went running. Twice. It wasn't great, but I managed to piece together a few miles each day. I ran to Bon Jovi, which reminds me of being young and carefree, when my biggest worry was getting my hair big enough. My thighs hurt today, and it feels good. It was a meaty weekend.

Throughout the last week, I've read or heard some inspiring notes that hit home. Messages I'll call up when I'm being rolled into that big scanner Thursday, or when my chest aches and I'm out of breath, thinking about slowing to a walk before that next light pole. I thought they were worth passing along.


  • 'If we don't have some perils, fears, ups and downs, don't take some risks, don't have some set-backs, how do we recognize just how much we have?' ~ Roxann Johnson

  • 'Life is good and we should live passionately!' ~ Tasha Fontanes
  • 'Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace amid the storm. Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you 've decided to look beyond the imperfections.' ~ James Covino

  • 'Back to full strength 100 yards at a time...' ~ Kevin Cuddie

  • 'That was a fun hay hay, we should do it again tomorrow, Mommy.' ~ Donovan

2 comments: