Monday, February 8, 2010

One Down...

Treatment started Monday. Radiation bright and early at 7:45. For those of you that have seen me early in the morning, you know this is not my shining hour, but it seems inappropriate and risky to be rude to people working to cure you of cancer, so I muster as much courtesy as I can.

For the moment, radiation is easy. I just lay there while the techs line me up just so, and the machine and its ray of light does the rest. I can't see them as I'm face down on the table, but on occasion their 'adjustments' feel more like the three of them are just standing around and poking me. I might be less paranoid if I had pants on.

Following radiation, I went to chemo. After a brief visit with my oncologist, he walked me up to the 3rd floor to begin my first round of chemo infusion. My oncology nurse promptly introduced herself as a 7-yr survivor of rectal cancer - a good omen I think, and certainly a reminder that cure rates are high and life goes on.

So, after several hours of tests, port prep and instruction, I left hooked up to a pump about the size of a walkman, full of the 5-FU chemo. I get to wear this 24x7 for the next week, with a refill scheduled for next Monday. The pump comes with some heavy warnings; don't get anything wet, keep a spare battery handy, check your 'dose given' reading periodically to make sure it is working, and the most concerning - should the tube be damaged and start to leak, double bag it and seal it, as the drug can cause a chemical burn. I asked what the odds are of damage and was told that the most frequent issue is cats chewing through the tubes...I'm willing to bet that while Mr. Jingles is gnawing away, the Jerry Springer show is on in the background.

Despite all of the poking, the needles, the waiver forms outlining possible side effects, what I felt most yesterday was relief. From this point on, the tumor will only get smaller and weaker, destroyed cell by cell, until it ceases to exist and I am cancer free.

7 comments:

  1. Keely- I am compiling a kick ass cancer's ass care package for you, let me know when you want some company so I can bring it by, Van and Moose can have a play date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keely, remember me? :) Stay positive, you know strong the mind is. I'll send you a care package too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have known your blog would be excellent! Topic aside you've got mad writing skills. Keep up the good fight and I will see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Keely, I just want to say that we all love you and think about you all every day. Oh, and I agree, you've got a future in blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So where do we make a sign.... Be Aware of the Pump.... similar to one - remove hearing aid! (just a little laugh from the past)
    Your attitude is inspiring - we should all live this way.
    sending love your way.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keely,
    My name is Richard Wiederman and I am privileged to work with your wonderful mother. My father had ulcerative colitis for almost twenty years before his surgery in 1975. He had been so sick for so many years that he and my mother were resigned to a worst case scenario. Well, he lived a full, productive and long life. He had the blessing of grandchildren and loved life to the fullest. This all took place almost forty years ago. Think about how far medical science has come since then. You'll get through this part of your life and everyone will be there for you every step of the way. Take it from the child of someone who went through this hell and has been able to talk to others about it.
    All my best Keely.
    Richard Wiederman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keely,

    I'm so inspired by your blog! You have amazing spirit.

    ReplyDelete