Sunday, February 7, 2010

Locks of Love

In April of 2007, a colleague at Avnet, Chuck, was diagnosed with a particularly rare cancer. At the time, I had two other friends, Greg and Dave, in cancer treatment as well. Only weeks away from Van's due date, the contrast of our life changing events weighed heavy on me.

In a show of solidarity, several of Chuck's pals shaved their heads with him as he began to undergo an intense regimen of biochemotherapy - an even more poisonous version than your run of the mill chemotherapy. Bald not being my best look and my hair being one of my better assets, I went the other way - I started growing it out with the intent of donating.

It has taken me 22 months to grow the minimum 10 inch ponytail, and on Friday I finally made my donation. During that time, some friends have won and others lost their battles, while still others continue to fight or have been diagnosed - I dedicate my donation to all of them.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Keels, when are we going to see the new haircut! As you know I donated twice after both girls were born, so now I am going to grow it out in honor of you! I will cut it once you are cancer free.
    I love your page. It is just like you: elegant, informative and a little snarky!:)
    I am so proud of you and just want to remind you that I am here for all of the inappropriate jokes one can think of!!
    On a sad note: I want you to know you have totally ruined the saying,"Stick it up your ass" for me, but I guess I will forgive you eventually-hehe
    I love you- xoxoxo Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, after reading this, it might be time to cut off my hair. It is down to my butt...which is honestly, pretty junior high looking. The last time I cut it, I chopped it a foot and a half right before Halloween. Keely, that was the year I wore that super slut-tastic silver one peice body suit. Good times.

    ReplyDelete