Wednesday, August 25, 2010

We're Going Bananas

Monday was the start of treatment number six, though it almost didn't happen. I've hit that point where my counts have kind of bottomed out, particularly my white blood cells, platelets and potassium. Platelets and white blood cells I get. Not being able to fight off infection is an obvious danger and something I think about each day as I see the list of confirmed illness on the board at Van's school...pink eye, croup, fifth's disease.

But potassium? Is that really critical, I asked? Silly me...your muscles need potassium to contract, your heart to regulate blood pressure and the rest of your body to maintain cellular processes. Low potassium, or Hypokalemia (check out the big brain on Brad...), makes you weak. I'm sure this is contributing to my staggering out of bed each morning completely zapped of energy after a solid 10 hours of ambien induced sleep, as if I've slept all night with a lump of kryptonite under my pillow.

So, after I promised to stock up on potassium rich foods and shun all sick people, the doc agreed to treatment. Van and I are now locked in competition to see who can eat the most bananas and canteloupe, although he still gets the highly valued 'sticker banana'. After he proudly peals that sticker off and hands it to me I wait until he isn't looking and then stick it back on another banana in the bunch, so we never run out.

3 comments:

  1. The sticker recycling is great. Why only one sticker per bunch, anyhow? Don't forget the potassium-sodium pump needed for transmissions of nerve impulses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bananas! Benjamin also loves bananas or as he calls them "na nas". I never know if he's calling me or asking for a banana. Will think of you and Van everytime Benjamin and I share a "na na". Love you, A. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kees is obsessed with the stickers too! I don't doubt for a second your abilty to sway the Doc! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete