Monday, April 12, 2010

Shrinking...Violets

During radiation treatment, I would lay on the table and try to find something positive to wrap my head around. Often I thought of the tumor dying and dissolving, and yes, sometimes I even imagined it squealing 'I'm melting, I'm melting...' Wicked Witch style as it went. I tried to picture healthy tissue springing forth and blooming in its place, like a beautiful garden. As far as actual probability, I was told that the tumor will go away only about 20% of the time, with another 20% experiencing no measurable change. The majority, about 60% of people, fall somewhere in the middle.

I visited with my surgeon end of last week, and although formal downstaging cannot be done until after surgery and pathology, the tumor is gone! This does not mean I'm cancer-free (yet), and both surgery and post-operative chemo are still necessary because treatment is based on the initial stage III diagnosis - but this simplifies surgery a bit and long term survival rates are positively impacted by significant downstaging.

I'm proceeding with cautious optimism until we do have pathology, but this is a great boost as we prepare for surgery on May 3rd!

11 comments:

  1. My fingers are still crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeley, this is great news!

    - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. And then I spelled your name wrong. Typo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keels...that is fabulous news!!! When will you have pathology reports?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the meantime, I think you should start visualizing a big diamond necklace around your neck and lots of new shoes in your closet ... can't hurt...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unbelievable news! The Good Witch has certainly sprinkled glitter all over you - click those ruby shoes xoxo A. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay Keely!!!!!

    - Mia

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is great news! Keep thinking positive thoughts. Let me know if you need ANYTHING May 3rd or the days after. Or before.

    ReplyDelete