Saturday, February 20, 2010

Week Two of Treatment

I wrapped up my second week of treatment yesterday. This last week really wasn't bad, although it seems like a bit of a cheat week as I didn't have to do too much - Mom was here and in her usual Energizer Bunny way she cooked, cleaned and shopped enough to get us through the week and prep us for the next couple.

All in all though, I think I've been lucky as side effects go, at least so far; fatigue of course, a touch of nausea periodically, and the last two days some abdominal pain that is not insignificant, but still a mild response.

On Monday, the chemo pump will be removed. Though I'll still have daily radiation, I'm looking forward to the two-week break from chemo. With the pump on showers are not allowed, unless you wrap your upper body in saran wrap and stand with your back to the water, and then what's the point? So I've been taking baths, using great care not to get the pump and the bandages securing the needle in at the port wet. While I might have previously enjoyed a bubble bath once or twice a year in our antique clawfoot, daily before work is just not that enjoyable - and bending over to wash your hair upside down even less so. Then again, I still have a full head of hair to wash!

6 comments:

  1. Dear Keely -- I am practically in tears right now after reading your blog -- I am so inspired by you! There's no doubt in my mind that you will kick this thing in the proverbial a__! Although I've only met you a few times, I knew the first time I met you that you were an incredibly strong person (and wonderfully kind and friendly to boot!). I liked you immediately. You are also a very gifted writer!! Please know that you and your family are in our daily thoughts and prayers and we are sending you all of our positive energy! God Bless you! (I'm going to send you some bubble bath!!) --Corinne Whitaker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keely,

    Glad to hear that there have been few side effects from treatment. Great idea with the blog, I hope that it has cut down on just a few of the many daily phone calls you make to give updates. Karen and I are sending you all our positive vibes for a quick treatment and speedy recovery!!! We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keely - Myself and the girls have been keeping up with your blog and I agree it does cut down on the phone calls and questions I would be asking your Mom. I am so glad your Mom was out there last week to lend support and help out with her countless energy. Our thoughts and prayers are with you daily - love you much. Aunt Terry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly - I have been following all of your pics on Facebook and it is just amazing how quickly Van has grown up. Time just flys by, but you definitely have to take the time to enjoy it and mark it with memorable moments so it doesn't slip by without you being able to remember what happened and you are great at making those memorable moments. These next 9 months, though challenging, are going to go quickly and soon you will be looking back knowing it was another battle that you overcame and will be a mark in your long list of achievements. I will be spreading positive Keely vibes throughtout the globe as I make my way to KL, Malaysia. I am in Alaska now and will be thinking of you as I fly over the ocean to Taipei and on over to KL. I know you have an army of people, love, thoughts around you, but please don't hesitate to ask me for anything. Even if it is as crazy as a bowl of Laksa from the Kuala Lumpur market sent by 3 day air :)
    Thinking of you, Cathy Harvell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Keely,
    Well, as it turns out, I'm two weeks late as Cathy just turned me on to your blog. As I sit here, perusing the numerous notes of love and support, I can tell you that this will merely be a bump in the road that you will surely overcome. Your humorous and positive outlook is very inspiring - heck, I wouldn't expect anything different from you! Know that I'm thinking of you, Steve and the Van man mucho and sending big smiles, hugs and some extra love~
    Rick Harvell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep rocking it Keely. You clearly have strong support in your corner. You are a lucky woman.

    ReplyDelete