Tuesday, February 2, 2010

And so it begins...

On January 19, 2010, I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer. I keep saying colorectal, but really it's rectal cancer. Butt cancer. Seriously? Puns and jokes are too easy, if you have a sense of humor about this...and I think you have to. For example, I don't think this is what Steve meant when he said he always liked that I have a little junk in the trunk...


At this point, I imagine some of you want specifics. The tumor is graded T3-N1, which translates to stage III. Treatment is three phases; about 6 weeks of concurrent radiation and chemo, followed by surgery and a few weeks of recovery, and then several more months of chemo. That should take us through about October. I am sure this is where the bad news ends though.


There has been no metastasis and I'm otherwise healthy and strong, so I've been given an excellent prognosis from a team of exceptional caregivers - this particular cancer is very treatable. We are lucky enough to have a tremendous pit crew of family, friends and colleagues who are already helping build a tide of good juju out in the universe, and to ease any day to day burden. I have terrific health insurance and other resources at my disposal. And most of all, I have Steve and Van offering their usual steady supply of laughs and love.


So, the next 9 months or so will be an enormous challenge - I expect I'll learn a lot about myself, my family and friends, and I'll certainly get an up close look at the healthcare industry. But, as I've told many of you, I've always believed in Mark Twain's quote, 'it's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog that counts.' I've got plenty of fight in me, and I have never been as sure of anything as I am of being a cancer survivor.

7 comments:

  1. You go Keely! I have no doubt you will kick cancer's ass! We are sending great big hugs and so many good thoughts and prayers from Hunter House!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a great attitude and I truly believe that is half the battle. I will keep you and Steve and Donavan in my thoughts and prayers. I know you will kick ass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can beat up a 6 foot tall girl at 1am in the street, while wearing a prom dress (and we already know you can do that!), then you can definitely beat cancer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keely, best wishes to you and your family as you go through this ordeal. I wish I could pick you up and put you on the beach with me here in Malaysia where I'm spending the winter. My daughter, and your friend, Tasha keeps me posted and sent me the link to your blog. Hang in there....it'll be over with before you know it and you can continue a healthy life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have faithin you Keely!! you can do it!!! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy and Mark WhiterFebruary 14, 2010 at 1:38 PM

    From one cancer survivor to another. We know you'll beat this. Keep your positive attitude and maintain your wonderful sense of humor and you'll do just fine. Sending you, Steve and Donovan much love. Cathy and Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Keely, it's been a long time. You're a tough chick (shit, you used to beat me up when we were kids) and I know you'll get through this. Just keep living, laughing and loving like you always have. Keep your positive attitude and sense of humor, those two things are paramount in times like these. I love you and I hope to see you or talk to you soon.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete